- new posts every sunday -

Sunday 18 May 2014

Words #2: Sleep



 {photo 1 | 2 | 3 }

Sleep
noun

1. A condition of body and mind which typically recurs for several hours every night, in which the nervous system is inactive, the eyes closed, the postural muscles relaxed, and consciousness practically suspended.

The definitions of these words make them sound so simple, so...technical. A chemical reaction. Something in our biology. A scientific event.
I love sleep. The way your eyelids droop and your vision blurs, everything going out of focus. The way your breathing slows and your heart beat is the only thing you hear. When you close your eyes and see amazing patterns in brilliant colours and fantastic light shows that dance across your eyelids. Those stretches you do in the morning, like a flower bud unfurling its petals and the way your hair is messy and frizzy but it doesn't matter. Not yet, anyway, because you're still too tired to care.
When you fall asleep and have the most wonderful dream, where you are the happiest you can be. You wake up but close your eyes instantly, trying to get back to that happy place. But you can fall asleep and go to the darkest place you know. All your fears come alive, the shadows and monsters that haunt the back of your mind when you're awake now plague you as you sleep. The dreams and the nightmares are so vivid but it's not real - it's our mind. It's like a cinema in your head. You fall asleep and the movie begins, but you don't know whether it will be your favourite film or a horror movie turning on. And then the movie ends and you wake up and all the details drift away but the things you felt stay with you. The feelings still linger - the fast beating heart, the smile on your face, the helplessness, the happiness. Sleep is such a normal, routine thing, but it's actually, rather incredible.

Thanks for reading




P.S. Sorry for not posting Bout of Books updates - I really haven't been reading that much (oops) I will be doing a general update of how much I read over all at the end of the read a thon, so keep an eye out for that! :)

8 comments

  1. I loved this! I just woke up and this is so true. Very well written. Followed you on GFC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That means a lot :) Aww, thank you!
      I hope you enjoy reading my blog. It's a bit crazy, but you get used to it ;)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  2. Sleep is such a simple thing, but you made it beautiful. I had the biggest smile whilst reading this, because, darling, you described it so well. Sleep is my blissful ignorance that I love so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww *goes red* I'm so happy you liked it! It honestly means so much to me when people react like this to my writing and writingish things :)
      Thank you!

      <3

      Delete
  3. *yawns* Oh... this post makes me sleepy... Now I can't wait to go to bed. XD You're such a lovely writer, Bethan. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was so tired when I was writing it, so hopefully it rubbed off haha!
      Thank you so much. It means the world to me coming from you! <3

      Delete
  4. This is so true. My favourite part for some reason is the vision blurring. Lovely post :)
    -Nymisha ♦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, glad you liked it! Thank you :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx