- new posts every sunday -

Sunday 29 June 2014

(really, really, really late) Creative Thursday // C.C.C.WC :: Chapter Five

Hey, guys!
Here is my Creative Thursday. I know... I know. Bethan didn't post on time. And not only not on time, but 3-4 days late. That...that is a new record for me.... I'm so sorry! I started this on Thursday but had homework to do, and then more homework on Friday. Saturday... Saturday, I have no excuse because I read all day.. actually, that is an excuse - read Looking for Alaska in a day. :) Did nothing else.... #socialskills.
Anyway, so here it is! Chapter 5 for Celia's Writing Challenge. I am having so much fun! Click here for her amazing blog, here to find out more about Chapter 5 and here for more info on the Writing Challenge.
-------------------
--------------------------

Crow closed the hatch behind him before making his way down the stairs. Rosie's curls bounced in front of him, gradually faded into the darkness around them. He had once needed a torch to light his way down the steps, but now he knew every nook, every crack, every uneven surface.
The black began to lighten until Crow could see the long white corridor, lit up by fluorescent lights. People moved along the hall, moving in and out of rooms, shuffling papers, fiddling with blades and guns.
Rosie winced again, pressing her fingers against her arm. The blood had nearly stopped now - a small drop was winding its way between her fingers, along her tanned hand and down her arm, a tattoo in red ink, swirling around her wrist and twisting on her forearm.
"Come on. Rhea should be in the planning room," Crow said as he placed his hand in the crook of her arm. A drop of blood landed on his fingers. He ignored it.
They walked along the main corridor, then turned left. Nobody was walking down here. It was still and quiet, the white walls and floor muffling any sound. Rose glanced down at his hand on her arm before staring up at him, smiling. There was a glint in her eyes that made Crow feel uneasy.
He stopped abruptly, taking his hand away from her arm. She looked confused as he began to speak, "Listen, I love Gracie. She's beautiful and funny and intelligent and... Not that you're not any of those things. You're..you are beautiful. I just don't like you. I mean, of course I like you. Just not in that way. I love... I love Grace. Okay?"
There was an awkward silence, heavy and suffocating. Crow shuffled his feet, staring at the white tiles, up at the ceiling, anywhere but at her. Rose gazed up at him, her eyes flitting over his face, before breaking into a grin,
"Honestly, Crow, get over yourself. I'm not into you, if that's what you're suggesting. I know that you and Grace..." She trailed off, looking awkward, her grin slipping. Then, after only a second, the smile was back, "So can we get me to Rhea before I bleed to death?"
Crow sighed with relief, and took her arm again, guiding her to a door at the end of the corridor. He knocked, four times, slow, once, four times, fast, then twice. The sound of several locks being turned and pulled back echoed through the corridor before the door was opened, revealing a severe looking man - dark hair, dark skin, dark eyes. But his mouth was pulled into a huge smile, white teeth gleaming.
"Hey, Crow! And Rosie!"
"Hiya, Scott." Rose grunted.
Scott noticed her gritted teeth and the blood winding its way down her arm and the smile left his face, "Oh my... What happened? Rhea! Get Will here. Rosie's bleeding."
Scott ushered us in, locking the door behind us. Rose sat down on a chair, clutching her arm.
The planning room was a mess, papers scattered on tables and empty food packets littering the floor but it was still beautiful. The walls and ceiling were a map of the stars, all the constellations painted and labelled with extreme accuracy. A telescope sat in the corner, ready to be taken upstairs and out into the woods for star-gazing. But there wasn't time for that anymore. There was only planning, nothing else. Not after...
Crow shook his head, helping clear maps and pencils from a long conference table. Will came in, his shoulder-length blond hair tangled and flying over his face as he lay bandages and antiseptic on the now empty table.
Scott turned to Crow, "What happened? Was it... them?"
Crow blushed. "No, it was me. I came in and heard a noise upstairs. I didn't know she was up there. I thought it was one of them. I couldn't see her face - it was too dark. So I swung. I'm sorry."
Scott nodded and clapped Crow on the back, "Don't worry about it. We all would have done the same."
Rosie looked up as Will wrapped a bandage around her arm, smiling at Crow, "I'm fine, Crow. Don't worry about me."
Crow nodded as Rhea walked back in holding a water bottle. Her long white hair was pulled up in a messy bun and she wore the same knitted cream jumper and worn jeans as yesterday. She was young, 23 years old, but her dyed silver hair and severe frown lines from recent worries made her look older.
She listened carefully as Scott told her the story, then burst out laughing. "So, you cut Rosie? Wow, Crow. You idiot!"
Crow smiled. Rhea used to laugh so much, but he hadn't heard her in so long. It was a relief to hear her warm, rich laughter in this miserable time.
She hugged him then. Her jumper was thick and warm and she smelled of sweat and acrylic paints and vanilla and safe. She was home for Crow. She acted like Crow's mother and big sister and teacher and occasionally army general but really, she was just home.
Rhea pulled back and smiled at him, but her eyes were worried. "Come on. I'll show you the plans."

----------------------
Want to do it too?


Well, I hope you liked that. :) I love Rhea - I think she might be my favourite character. She's so strong for everyone but she herself is so vulnerable and weak. I also love Scott. He's the one that gives big bear hugs and cracks jokes.

So, yeah. Sorry it's late!
I decided to post this instead of my usual Words post, and I won't be posting tomorrow - it will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday. :] - as I have my Grade 4 piano exam on Tuesday morning, so I'll be practicing hard for that!

Thanks for reading

2 comments

  1. You. Bethan. You are an amazing writer, and I enjoyed this so much! The characters are awesome, and the story is really intriguing. Promise me you will never stop writing?
    Haha...I read Looking For Alaska in a day and a half. :)
    And I STILL haven't posted my 5th entry for this challenge. I am SO late. So, no way do you need to feel bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww *blushes* Thank you so much - that means the world to me! Thank you <3 I promise. :) You are a beautiful writer, so hearing that coming from you...Just made my day!
      I really enjoyed it :)
      Aha, don't worry about it. ;) I'm sure when you do, it will be magnificent! (I feel like that word isn't used as much as it should be...)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx