- new posts every sunday -

Monday 16 June 2014

Oops...Another Book Haul...

Hey, guys! I hope you all had a great weekend! I really hope you're enjoying my entries for Celia's Writing Challenge - Let me know any improvements or feedback you have in the comments below!
Anyways, I may or may not have added more books to my TBR....I'm sowwy... Let's just get straight into it!
The two books I bought at the Carnegie Shadowing event I was telling you about ages ago. I ended up reading out the book summaries before each performance and it was amazing! Everybody was super nice - I got chocolates at the end to say thanks! - and I met a girl in her second year of university (she was a judge) called Bethan who was basically me....Other teachers and judges were saying how similar we were :) She was reading A Tale of Two Cities, which is my favourite classic....So weird!
The first book I bought there I have mentioned in a previous book haul that I was reading. It is Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell:

Everyone thinks that Sophie is an orphan. True, there were no other recorded female survivors from the shipwreck which left baby Sophie floating in the English Channel in a cello case, but Sophie remembers seeing her mother wave for help. Her guardian tells her it is almost impossible that her mother is still alive, but that means still possible. You should never ignore a possible. So when the Welfare Agency writes to her guardian threatening to send Sophie to an orphanage, she takes matters into her own hands and flees to Paris to look for her mother, starting with the only clue has - the address of the cello maker. Evading the French authorities, she meets Matteo and his network of rooftoppers - urchins who live in the sky. Together they scour the city for Sophie's mother before she is caught and sent back to London, and most importantly before she loses hope.
{blurb via}

I love this book and I'm so glad I have my own copy now. It's a lovely, heart-warming book and the cover is beautiful! I mean, look at it!

The next book from Carnegie is The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks. Here's the blurb:

I can't believe I fell for it.

It was still dark when I woke up this morning.


As soon as my eyes opened I knew where I was.

A low-ceilinged rectangular building made entirely of whitewashed concrete.

There are six little rooms along the main corridor.

There are no windows. No doors. The lift is the only way in or out.

What's he going to do to me?

What am I going to do?

If I'm right, the lift will come down in five minutes.

It did. Only this time, it wasn't empty.
{blurb via}

Okay, so that doesn't really explain it much...Basically, Linus Weems (pronounced Reems) is 16 years old and thinks he's helping a blind man. But then the "blind" man kidnaps him. And then he shoves him in this bunker and starts to kidnap more people. I haven't read it yet but my friends have say it's amazing. They warned me not to read it before bed, though, because according to them it's "very disturbing". So I'm looking forward to reading it!

Next book!

These next four I got from the library. The first book is 0.4 by Mike Lancaster:

It's a brave new world. 'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.' So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded on to old audio tapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax. But perhaps they contain the history of a past world...If what the tapes say are true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie. And if everything we know is a lie does that mean we are, too?
{blurb via}

I have read this before and oh my gosh.... This. Book. It  got me into sci-fi and if you haven't read it, please do. It should be a lot more well-known than it is. Please read this if you like sci-fi. SO. GOOD!

The next book is Fated by Sarah Alderson. Here's the blurb:

What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it?


When Evie Tremain discovers that she's the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she's being hunted by an elite band of assassins - Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them - she knows she can't run. They'll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight.

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray is sent to spy on Evie and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfill a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends.

If your life becomes bound to another's, what will it take to sever it?
{blurb via}

It sounds really good, so I decided to pick it up. Really excited to read this!

This book is called The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight (bit of a mouthful!) by Jennifer E. Smith:

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
{blurb via}

This isn't the type of book I normally read, but after reading and loving Fangirl (by Rainbow Rowell) I decided to pick up another cutesie book. I have head great things about Jennifer E. Smith's books - I really want to read all of her books; this one, This is what Happy Looks Like and the Geography of You and Me. I am really looking forward to reading this. :)

And the final book I picked up is Every Day by David Levithan. The blurb is below:

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There's never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It's all fine until the morning A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with - day in, day out, day after day.
{blurb via}

I am so excited to read this one! It just sounds like a really great read.

UPDATE: Got another book from my school library today, so I thought I'd add it as it is the book I'm currently reading. It's Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Here's the blurb:

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Etienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.

But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?
{blurb via}

Really enjoying this book so far, despite only being on page 23. That's the end of my update. ;)

And that concludes the book haul! I hope you enjoyed it. :)

Thanks for reading
Love you all!

5 comments

  1. Those sounds awesome. I will have to go read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! They all sound so good. :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  2. Hey Bethan! It sounds like you read a lot! :) I love reading too. "Roof Toppers" looks cool and so does "0.4." I'm the the middle of a few books myself right now...I keep starting new books before finishing ones I've already started! But the book I'm reading right now that I particularly like is called The Poetic Edda, it's Norse mythology and I think it's fun. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read a lot :) Is it that obvious... >.< Hehe :)
      Same, I have so many books to read (as you can probably tell from the TBR list on the side there ---> that's not even all of them...)
      Oooo, that sounds cool! I love all mythology, especially Greek!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
    2. Oh, cool! I really like Greek mythology too! :)

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx