- new posts every sunday -

Monday 21 July 2014

A very long post...

Hey guys!
It is officially the Summer Holidays! Yay! :) Yes, here in the UK, we have only just finished school.
As the title says, this is going to be a very long post because I have so many things I need to post but I don't want to space them out as I know more things will keep on piling up. So, I'm shoving them all together in one big post. Here's a brief summary of what is to be found in this post:

+ A Book Haul
+ A Tag
+ A Photo Challenge entry
+ An encounter with an author
+ BookTubeAThon wrap up
+ And some big news

Let's get started! *turns on music* *dances* ~(•-•)~

First, a book haul. There are quite a few books in this one....

Okay, first book. Um.... *goes through book pile* .... Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead! Here's the blurb:

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school - it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's - the very place where they're most in danger....

Rose and Lissa become emmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and the unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi - the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires - make Lissa one of them forever.

As I think I've previously mentioned, I bought this book for my friend Jee for her birthday and decided to get myself a copy quite a while ago. I am currently reading it and am loving it so far - despite only being on chapter 2!

The second book is The Maze Runner by James Dashner (from my library):
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers - boys whose memories are also gone.
Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out - and no one's ever made it through alive.
Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

I got to about half-way chapter 2 before putting this book down and starting VA. I just.. wasn't grabbed by it. And the slang was really irritating me. Really irritating. Every time somebody spoke, there would be at least 3 slang words in there and I had no idea what they meant. Example:

" Which Keeper's he gonna get?" someone shouted from the back of the crowd. 
" I told ya, shuck-face," a shrill voice responded. "He's a klunk, so he'll be a Slopper - no doubt about it."

What does that mean?! I'm sure I will pick this up again once I've finished the rest of the books I've brought on holiday with me.

My third book is 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad, which I am sooooo excited to read:

Three teenagers are going on the trip of a lifetime. Only one is coming back.

It's been more than forty years since NASA sent the first men to the moon, and to grab some much-needed funding and attention, they decide to launch an historic international lottery in which three lucky teenagers can win a week-long trip to moon base DARLAH 2 - a place that no one but the top government officials even knew existed until now. The three winners, Antoine, Midori and Mia, come from all over the world.
But just before the scheduled launch, the teenagers each experience strange, inexplicable events. Little do they know that there was a reason NASA never sent anyone back there until now - a sinister reason. But the countdown as already begun...

Oh. My. Goodness. It sounds absolutely amazing! I love sci-fi so naturally, I am super excited to read this! Aaaahhhh!

Book number 4 - Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell:

Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough... Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises... Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds - smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

I got this signed by Rainbow Rowell and I am really excited to read it! More on meeting Rainbow Rowell later on in this post.

Number five is The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Here's the blurb:

It's just a small story really, about, among other things, a girl, some worfs, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist: books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbours during bombing raids - as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

I have started this book but then the BookTubeAThon came around so I had to stop. I bought it on my Kindle as I didn't want to take our massive hardcover on holiday, so I'm really looking forward to continuing it soon.

And the last book! (it's a bit of a mouthful) The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (wow):

Twelve-year-old September lives in Omaha, and used to have an ordinary life, until her father went to war and her mother went to work. One day, September is met at her kitchen window by a Green Wind (taking the form of a gentleman in a green jacket), who invites her on an adventure, implying that her help is needed in Fairyland. The new Marquess is unpredictable and fickle, and also not much older than September. only September can retrieve a talisman the Marquess wants from the enchanted woods, and if she doesn't then the Marquess will make life impossible for the inhabitants of Fairyland. September is already making new friends, including a book-loving Wyvern and a mysterious boy named Saturday.

This is from my school library. I wouldn't normally have picked this up but my friend Olivia had read it and said she loved it and that is was a fantastic fantasy book. So I took it out, along with the second book, The Girl who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, but I'm not going to show you the blurb, as I expect it is pretty spoiler-y for the first book. Also, they have really pretty covers. :) 

Phew, book haul, done! Okay, now, part 2 of this incredibly long post - the TMI tag!

The lovely Yasmine from Cloudy Dreams tagged me in this, so yeah. I'm doing it now.
I have done this tag before but it was back when I had no followers so, I'm doing it again!

1. What are you wearing?
Um... I am wearing shorts and a white baggy vest top with a graphic print of LA on it, with my swimming costume underneath as I am going swimming after I post this.

2. Have you ever been in love?
With several fictional characters, yes. In real life, no.

3. Ever had a terrible breakup?
I have never had a boyfriend, which is not surprising, given my appearance.

4. How tall are you?
I think I'm around 5 ft 3"

5. How much do you weigh?
This is kind of embarrassing but I weigh 5.5 stone. *coughs* I'm super skinny...

6. Any tattoos?
No!

7. Any piercings?
No, but I do want my ears pierced.

8. OTP?
I have several. Everlark, Fourtris, Wessa, Jessa, Clace, Malec, Sizzy, Ten/Rose, Sherlolly, Hazel/Gus, Percabeth. And myself and Mr William Herondale (I'm waiting)

9. Favourite show?
Sherlock and Dr Who! I also love Modern Family and some crime dramas - Bones, Motive. I loved Broadchurch when it was on, and the Escape Artist, which was super creepy (can you see a pattern... anything David Tennant is in...)

10. Favourite bands?
Kodaline, Bastille and Imagine Dragons. I also love Of Monsters and Men and The 1975.

11. Something you miss?
Um... being in Primary school and being friends with everybody in my class. Just generally the innocence of being younger and not having to worry about exams and school work and being sad all the time.

12. Favourite song?
Hmm... it varies. Depends on my mood, the weather. I really can't choose. I'm loving the Ed Sheeran album, at the moment - Thinking out Loud, Tenerife Sea and Don't are my favourites. And I'm a Mess. But I have so many other favourite songs. I can't choose just one.

13. When is your birthday?
September 10th 1999. So actually quite soon. I have a list of books I want, which I am constantly adding to... So I'll be giving that to my parents. ;)

14. Zodiac sign?
I am a Virgo. "Sensitive, creative, gentle, kind, loyal, hardworking and a perfectionist. Likes animals, books and nature and doesn't like taking center stage or asking for help." Apparently.

15. Quality you look for in a partner?
Kind, caring, likes reading, and has a good sense of humour.

16. What is your favourite quote?
I have many, many favourite quotes. Here is one that is written by the genius that is John Green: "If you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

17. Favourite actor/actress?
Look at question 3 on this post.

18. Favourite colour?
Blue. :)

19. Loud music or soft?
Soft! But it depends on my mood, but usually soft.

20. Where do you go when you're sad?
My room. It's quiet and private, so I can cry in peace.

21. How long does it take you to shower?
10-15 minutes. Although, my shower is broken at the moment, so it's been baths for a while now. But in Devon, we have a shower, so that's been nice. :) I've been taking more like 20 minutes...

22. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
Weekday - 10 minutes (uniform, hair, concealer, teeth, done)
Weekend, staying in - 10 minutes (clothes, messy hair, teeth, done)
Weekend, going out - 15 minutes (clothes, nice hair, teeth, bit more makeup, done)

23. Ever been in a physical fight?
Hahahahaahahahahha.

24. Turn on?
A guy who reads.

25. Turn off?
Guys who are really rude and inconsiderate.

26. The reason you started your blog?
I guess I was bored one day and thought, 'Hey, why not start a blog?' I liked the idea of sharing my thoughts, feelings and writings with people, and making new friends through blogging.

27. Fears?
*whispers* Oblivion (tehe)
Okay, in this order, worst at the top.
1. Losing my loved ones
2. Being alone or isolated
3. Being crowded with people
4. Bugs
I know 2 and 3 kind of contradict each other but I would hate to be completely alone but I don't like being crowded by people either. A few friends, and some alone time is perfect for me.

28. Last thing that made you cry?
The last day of school because my lovely form tutor, Miss Fryzer, was leaving. And we had all pitched in with £1 and my friend Elena had bought her a few things, and I had made her a card and got everybody to sign it. And as she was reading said card, she began to cry. So we all had pictures with her, and when the bell went to signify the end of form, I said goodbye and gave her a hug, and we both started crying. It was really sad. :(

29. Last time you said you loved someone?
I just told my mum I loved her, because I do.

30. Meaning behind your blog name?
Well, this blog is where I share my thoughts, what I'm reading, some of my writings and my dreams and goals. So there you go.

31. Last book you read?
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Fantastic book.

32. The book you're currently reading?
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.

33. Last show you watched?
Modern Family.

34. Last person you talked to?
My brother. I asked him if he'd come swimming with me and he said yes.

35. The relationship between you and the person you last texted?
As there is no signal here, the last person I texted was a while ago and it was Lauren. And our relationship is best friends. For a long time.

36. Favourite food?
I don't really have one. I suppose chocolate.

37. Place you want to visit?
GREECE! And America. :)

38. Last place you were?
Um.... The room I'm sleeping in here.

39. Do you have a crush?
Nope. Not in real life, anyway...

40. Last time you kissed someone?
I have no idea... My mum, probably.

41. Last time you were insulted?
My dog burped in my face when I tried to hug her.

42. Favourite flavour of sweet?
The purple ones?

43. What instrument(s) do you play?
I have just passed my Grace 4 Piano exam with a Merit. :)

44. Favourite piece of jewellery?
A Loom band my friend Olivia made me, and my friendship bracelet with Charlotte.

45. Last sport you played?
Swimming.

46. Last song you sang?
'Belle' from Beauty and the Beast.

47. Favourite chat up line?
*reading* Guy: Hey, I love that book you're reading! *drops book* Guy: Oh, let me get that for you!
Someone uses that on me, we're getting married.

48. Have you ever used it?
Nooooo... waiting for someone to use it on me.

49. Last time you hung out with anyone?
Except my family, I guess it would be Friday at school.

50. Who should answer these questions next?
Anybody that wants to!

Part 2, complete!

Onto part 3, my photo challenge entry!
This is for Paige's Photo Challenge: Category 4 - A Refreshing Drink. Here is my entry!



Part 4 - Meeting Rainbow Rowell!

So I waited in line for 3 hours to get my books signed. The line was absolutely massive! My dad brought me and my mum an iced smoothie and food but my legs were so tired by the end of it. Finally, I met her! And she was soooooo nice! She said thanks for waiting for so long and signed my books then had a nice photo with me and we chatted for a while. And now I have my books signed. :)



Part 5 - BookTubeAThon
I wasn't overly successful in this readathon. I only read 2 books. :( BUT, I have a reason. I was in school all of last week, and packing for a few nights. I did complete a few challenges though.
I read Half Bad by Sally Green and A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.
Half Bad completed the challenge read a book with red on the cover and read a book of a genre that you have read the least of this year. And A Monster Calls completed the read a book with pictures challenge.
I think 2 books is okay, especially since I was in school and packing for Devon. So... Bit of a failure, but oh well.

And finally, part 6, my favourite part, The Big News. 

I HAVE REACHED 50 FOLLOWERS!!!!! WHAT?!
How?! How have 50 people decided they like my blog and clicked follow? I just... thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you, you wonderful, brilliant, magnificent, beautiful people. I love you all.

To celebrate: I am having a writing challenge!
I will be doing a post explaining the rules and such very soon - probably Wednesday or Friday. :)

Love you all

11 comments

  1. I may have to enter this writing challenge.... Great post and great photo!
    Paige // The Joys Of Being Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethan! *waves furiously*
    I had to drop The Maze Runner the first time I read it, too. :p But then I read it again and I actually really enjoyed it so never fear! :)
    Ooo, I'm so jelly you got your books signed! I actually still need to buy Eleanor and Park. :P I NNEEEEDDDD IT.
    I'm glad you're liking VA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madelin *waves back hard and hits myself in the face*
      Oh, phew! That's good then. :)
      Hehehe, she was really nice! I know, I'm so glad I bought it finally!
      I love it!
      I really hope you'll enter my writing challenge!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  3. You're right: the post really was long! Lovely to learn more about you! (Ahhh David Tennant is the best Doctor ever!) Vampire Acadamy sounds really interesting so I may have to buy it sometime... :) Great picture for Paige's challenge and hurray for meeting Rainbow Rowell! Xx Yasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just didn't have time to space out all of the parts into individual posts - I needed them done now! - so yeah, it was super long!
      Aw, it was nice sharing more stuff about me. :) Oh my gosh, yes, he definitely is! I'm really enjoying it so far, you should definitely pick it up! Rose is so sassy, I love it. :}
      Thank you!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Wow:) That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. :)
    I've followed your blog!

    xoxo,
    Bethan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part four is the coolest thing ever - you are soooooooo lucky!!

    Amy // The Blog Hermit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When I went into the bookshop to buy City of Heavenly Fire the day it came out, I saw these pieces of paper with pictures of Fangirl and Eleanor & Park on them. So I picked it up and it was about Rainbow Rowell doing a book signing. So I am really lucky I saw it!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx