- new posts every sunday -

Monday 8 September 2014

And the winner is...

Hey guys! These are the results for my 50 followers Writing Challenge. I had so many beautiful entries, but sadly I had to choose. :( I have given a 3rd, 2nd and 1st place along with a few honourable mentions. Please know that, even if I haven't chosen your entry as a winner, I loved all of them. You are all extremely talented writers! I narrowed 1st, 2nd and 3rd down to a few entries and then used a random name picker to pick a name. I will be giving the names of the runners up to each position as well.

I'm so sorry for this being late - I know I said they would be posted on Thursday but I kept on putting it off because they were all amazing and I didn't want to pick!
Let's get started.

Okay, in 3rd place is.......

Ella!

Congratulations Ella. Here's her entry:

The air around me hung suspended, frozen. The tips of my fingers were unfeeling, crammed into my jacket pockets in hopes that the numbness would melt away. Winter pressed itself against me, squeezing the oxygen from my lungs and drawing tears that pricked like needles on my skin.
I could hear the trees murmuring to each other, great oaks whispering back and forth.
"Do you see her down there?"
"Yes. She's standing by my trunk."
"Where is she going?"
"Where do you think? The same place they all go, in the end."
A breath escaped between my lips, and a pearly mist materialized before me, melting away as quickly as it had come.
But why not? This was the place where nothing stayed.
I heard it before I saw it. The sputtering and grinding of the engine, the tires crunching on the hard-packed snow. The headlights illuminated my figure, huddled by the curb, eyes too dark even to reflect the light.
The bus rolled towards me, its rusty doors already squeaking open before it lurched to a stop.
"You coming?" The driver had gray eyes. Ancient hands clutched the wheel like the branches of a gnarled tree.
I nodded, and stepped gingerly aboard. The smell of grease and ashes overwhelmed me. But there was something else there, too. Something familiar.
Three people. Three others like me. Stationed in their hard plastic seats, bent over and staring at the floor, clutching a backpack and looking stonily ahead.
I slowly lowered myself down. I could feel the aching in my knees, stiff and rusted and begging for relief. My hands found each other, and managed to fold onto my lap. They were still numb.
The doors scraped closed. The engine groaned but obediently sputtered on. Outside the dirt-streaked window, the oak trees did their best to wave goodbye.
"So, where are you headed?" The voice from beside me, quiet, tired.
I looked over. Raven hair. Ivory skin. A stranger. I turned back to the window.
"Home."

Well done Ella. Check out her blog Simply Scribbles. Here's a little picture thing. :)


The runners up for 3rd place were:

Check out Lauren's entry here and Tane's entry here. Here's a button for you two lovely girls. :)


In second place is.......
Kat!

Congratulations Kat. Here's her entry:

It's time to wake up. To see the world properly. You're getting older now. You can't keep living in your dream.

It's time to wake up. It's time to see the trouble that's going on around you. To notice that not everyone is as lucky as you.

It's time to wake up. It's time to take your life into your own hands. To stop relying on others.

It's time to wake up. To decide what you're going to do. To be serious. It's time to stop playing around, getting into trouble.

It's time to wake up. It's time to notice who you are and what you're doing on this planet.


Well done Kat. Check out her blog (Almost) Completely Mad. Here's your picture:


The runners up for second place were:

Click here for Eve's entry. Beth emailed me her entry, so it's below:

We're all just jesters dancing on an empty stage
Miming on tiptoe, pretending the act isn't going to end
But when the curtain falls, we all start to weep
Because we knew they were never ours to keep

We still rehearse, but we'll never perform
We make desperate acts in an attempt to hold on
The prices we all pay to not be alone
Remind me of the good things when I cannot share the throne

And if one little white lie is exposed,
We find ourselves forever alone.
And if one tiny little piece comes tumbling down,
We find that our whole world has been spun around.

The flowers that were thrown have withered away,
Their petals falling on an empty stage
The final performance is nothing but motions
Since there were never any emotions

And if all it ever was was a lie
What’s the point in us even claiming we tried?
The stage is destroyed, wasn't it all an act?
Our hearts in our throats, we don’t know how to react

Subtlety shooting the pitch-black sky,
Who’s fault is it, we can never decide,
Always taking sides in a nonexistent war,
Our lives are never the same as before.

The perfect fairy tale had fallen out of place,
Its bitter flavor is fading away.
The lies it’s so clear that we've all told,
Are nothing but false dreams outlined in gold.

The games that we all so willingly played
Always ended with a blackened page
The whispers from the crowd are rumors and lies
Unwittingly, we've planned our own demise.



Here's a thing for you guys:



And the winner is...........




~(•-•)~



JOLLYGIRL!

Congratulations Jollygirl! Here is her beautiful entry:

You were always there
Until you were not
You disappeared
You were gone
Your realness hidden away
Lost in a circle of taunting fears
Of nonacceptance
Caged by the veil
You laid upon yourself
Concealing
You,
Your beautiful self
Your strong emotions,
Your deep thoughts.
I used to admire you
But how can I now
When you've changed everything about yourself?

Well done, Jollygirl. Check out her blog, Reflections of a Jollygirl.


It was so hard to choose a winner. The runners up were:
Madeline - In the Wind
Sammie - Sammie the Stargirl

Click here for MorningTime4's entry, here for Madeline's entry and here for Sammie's entry.

Here are everybody else's entries:

Yasmine - Cloudy Dreams - Entry
Emily - Lynde Avenue - Entry

Go read them all because they're all amazing! 
Right, that's it for a post today. I'm going to be posting again on Wednesday with a birthday book haul/general haul thing - I'm so excited for my birthday! 1 more full day! - and something for Creative Thursday because you don't need 3 posts in the space of a few days!

Thanks for reading guys. And thank you all so much for entering my writing competition!


20 comments

  1. Everyone did an amazing job! Oh and I'm so honored! *blushes* Awesome post as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, didn't they? Aww, you're entry was beautiful. <3 Awww, thank you so much, Eve! :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  2. Congrats to all the winners! Also congrats to Beth with her 70 followers!
    -xoxo
    June | http://weezasjournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! 70 followers - it's crazy! I seriously can't believe 70 people read my blog... All I do is talk about books... I'm so happy!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No problem Ella! I loved your entry. :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  4. All of these entries are amazing! Wow! I feel so honored to be a winner! I can't believe it after reading all of these amazing entries! Thank you so much for the opportunity to enter this contest! It has been so fun! Congrats on 70 followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Can you understand why I kept putting it off? I couldn't choose! Your entry was beautiful. :) Aww, it's no problem, I loved reading all of the entries and just having so many people participate. >.<
      Thank you so much - I can't believe it!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  5. Lovely blog!

    Danielle || http://daniellemarie101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Second place, thank you so much, I didn't expect to get anything:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, it's no problem Kat - I love your entry sooo much. :) It was really appropriate for what is going on in my life right now - the start of GCSEs means I have to wake up and take my life into my own hands, to realise I'm getting older and have to have responsibilities.

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bethan. Also, I have nominated you for the Tribute to Writers award. I hope you don't mind doing it!

      Delete
    3. Aw, thank you! I'll do it next week. :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, everyone! And wow! I wasn't sure I would get any recogniztion or anything.... >.< But this was fun! Thanks so much for the contest!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, of course you did, your poem was beautiful <3 No problem!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  8. Congrats, everyone :) Thank you for hosting this challenge, Bethan, and thank you for choosing me as a runner up, haha ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I loved doing this challenge and I loved your entry - it was so hard, so I had to resort to a random name picker!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  9. Congrats to the winners! It's an honor to be a runner-up. Glad you liked it! :)

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx