- new posts every sunday -

Thursday 11 September 2014

Birthday book haul

Hey guys!
So yesterday was my birthday! Yup, I'm now 15.... How weird. Naturally, I got several books for my birthday. Here's a book haul! I was meant to post this yesterday but I went to the cinema with Charlotte to see If I Stay - really good. :) - and then I was super tired and just wanted to sleep. But it's here so. :)

First book was from my brother - thanks bro - and it is The Dying of the Light by Derek Landy. I am not going to type the blurb because it is the last book of the amazing, yet not well-known Skulduggery Pleasant series that I have loved since I was about 9-10. They're so funny but really dark and this is the final one and I'm not ready! Once I finish the VA series (I've nearly finished Spirit Bound but I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee for English, so I haven't had time to finish it :( ) this will be the first book I read.

My second book is also from my brother and that is a really nice, 'vintage classic' copy of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee:

'They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.'

Scout and her brother Jem can understand that idea of sin, but in the small American town where they live, evil comes in many shapes and they have to learn to recognise it, and understand how people behave. Their father's unpopularity when he fights for a black man in trouble reveals other mockingbirds.

 As I just mentioned, I am reading it for English and am loving it, so it's really nice to have a beautiful copy of my own to read instead of the rubbish, written on, torn apart, broken-spined English department copy.

The third book is Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas:

Meet Celaena Sardothien. Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving her life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin's heart be melted?

I have wanted this book for so long, and as you saw in my London haul, I bought the second book Crown of Midnight and the book of novellas, The Assassin's Blade and I have just ordered the third book, Heir of Fire, using a £20 Amazon voucher my Aunt gave me (as well as pre-ordering the Blood of Olympus. I'm so excited!) So now I can marathon it!

Book number four is a beautiful copy of A Tale of Two Cities, from my good friend Elena. I'm not going to type the blurb because I'm sure you all know what it's about because 1) it's a very famous classic and 2) It's been in a book haul already as I already own a copy of this. But, Elena saw it and thought of me because it is mentioned a lot in the Infernal Devices series, which I love, so I don't care because it's gorgeous (as you can see)

The next three books were a boxset from my parents and it is a hardcover set of the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. I'm only going to show you the blurb for the first book, Legend, as I don't want to spoil you or myself as I have only read Legend:

Once known as the western coast of the United States, the Republic is now a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors, the Colonies.
Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a military prodigy. Obedient, passionate, and committed to her country, she is being groomed for success in the Republic's highest circles.
Born into the slums of the Republic's Lake Sector, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered, and Day becomes the prime suspect. Now, caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June tries desperately to avenge Metias's death.
But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths to which their country will go to keep its secrets.

I got this out of the library 2-3 years ago and loved it. But then forgot about the second book coming out soon. So I'm really looking forward to another trilogy marathon, especially because these books are super fast-paced, well-written and action-packed!

I then got Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi from Charlotte. Here's the blurb:

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time - and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

I can't wait to read this book. I want to get the other two books so I can, guess what, marathon it. >.<

The last book is also from Charlotte and that is Cinder by Marissa Meyer:

Cinder, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She's reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai's she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen - and a dangerous temptation.
Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth's future.

I have already read all the Lunar Chronicles - I borrowed them from my friend - but it is definitely a series I would like to own. They're all loosely based off fairytales - this is based off Cinderella, the second book Scarlet, is based off Little Red Riding Hood, the third book Cress, is based off Rapunzel, and the last book coming out next November, Winter, is based off Snow White. There is also going to be a spin off book coming out this January called Fairest, based off the Wicked Witch in Snow White.

And that's the end of my birthday book haul! I got so many other lovely things for my birthday, including a massive Guardians of the Galaxy poster which I adore.

Thanks for reading guys. Love you!

19 comments

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU BEAUT! <3 <3
    oooooohh, you've gotten so many lovely books! You neeeeeed the other two Shatter Me books, you'll want to read them all in one go. :p :) Warner's the best, I'm in love. XD
    The Legend series ware also really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Madeline. <3 <3
      I'm so excited to read all of these beautiful books. :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  2. Three words: GIMME, GIMME, GIMME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! They're all so beautiful <3

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  3. Awesome, lucky you Bethan! :) Happy 15th...enjoy it. ;)

    xoxo,
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Bethan! Have fun with all those lovely books ;)

    Hugs

    ~Maiya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will. They're all on my bookshelf now, just waiting for me to get round to them! :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Bethan! (ooohhh alliteration there!) Gosh I LOVE Legend. It is THE BEST trilogy I have ever read. EVER. (please excuse ny caps but is seriously is that good!) I love Cinder. Really love Shatter Me. A Tale of Two Cities is my favourite classic. To kill a Mockingbird is amazing. How did you manage to have a Book haul with some of my most favourite books and add the word 'birthday' with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you love them all - it makes me even more excited to read them all. :) That's so weird, but amazing at the same time. :)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday! Hope you enjoyed your special day. :) When are you going to post another chapter of your story for C.C.C.W.C?
    Aliah

    thisandthatbyaliah.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I did! I'm planning on posting Chapter 7 tomorrow and then Chapter 8 next Thursday as usual

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday ^_^
    I can't wait to read the Legend trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :)
      Same! It's going to be amazing!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  8. The Lunar Chronicles is my absolute favorite fairy retelling series ever!! And I loved every single character in the series, even Levanna with her evilness and cunning because it's so realistic and the plot is amazing and you can literally BE there in the story with the characters! Sorry >.> major fangirl for this series xD
    www.the-emo-wolverine-writes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them so much! They're so good. :) LOVE THEM! Marissa Meyer and I are friends on Goodreads. ;)

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx