- new posts every sunday -

Monday 1 September 2014

A bunch of stuff I want to say in one post...

Hi guys!
As you can tell by the title, bit of a lots-of-random-things post today. Shall we begin? (If any of you got that reference, and said it in Khan's voice, please comment below and tell me I'm not alone •-• )

So my school uniform has changed - it's now blazers, shirts and ties. Bleugh. - and I went out with my mum to get me some shirts. And then I somehow ended up buying five books..... I have a problem, okay? It's okay though, because I got them from charity shops, so they were all really cheap and the money went to a good cause. That's my excuse. :P So um.. Here's my book haul. Ooops.

I doubt I will read any of these books soon, but they're nice to have.

The first book is Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I'm sure you all know what Alice in Wonderland is about, but here's the blurb anyways:

When Alice follows the White Rabbit down a rabbit hole, she finds herself in an enchanted world, filled with creatures like the Mad Hatter, the disappearing Cheshire Cat, and the Queen of Hearts. Alice quickly finds out that nothing is as it seems in the wild world of Wonderland...

I saw it and thought it would be quite a nice thing to own. It isn't an illustrated copy - it's a Wordsworth Classic, so is the original story by Lewis Carroll - but it's still nice to own, as it is such a well known story and I'd like to read it.

The next book is Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick:

For Nora Grey, romance was never part of the plan. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgement.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora isn't sure if she can trust him. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and to know more about her than her closest friends. And when she tries to seek answers, she discovers she is right in the middle of a centuries-old battle between the immortal and the fallen... and it's time to take sides.

I know a lot of people say that this series just gets worse as it goes along, but I'd still like to read it so I can form my own opinion.

The third book is Perfect by Rachel Joyce. Le blurb:

Summer, 1972: In the claustrophobic heat, eleven-year-old Byron and his friend begin 'Operation Perfect', a hapless mission to rescue Byron's mother from impending crisis. 

Winter, present day: As frost creeps across the moor, Jim cleans tables in the local cafe, a solitary figure struggling with OCD. His job is a relief from the rituals that govern his nights.

Little would seem to connect them but two seconds can change everything. And if your world can be shattered in an instant, can time also put it right?

I picked this up because it has a really pretty cover. And then the blurb intrigued me. So I bought it.

Book number four is Ostrich Boys by Keith Gray. Blurby blurb thingy:

Kenny, Sim and Blake are about to embark on a remarkable journey. Stealing the urn that contains the ashes of their best friend Ross, they set out to travel 261 miles from Cleethorpes on the English east coast to the tiny hamlet of Ross in southern Scotland.

After a depressing and dispiriting funeral they feel that taking Ross to Ross will be a fitting memorial for a fifteen-year-old boy who changed all their lives through his friendship. Little do they realise just how much Ross can still affect life for them even though he's dead.

It sounds like a really sweet book and kind of John Green-esque. I am never opposed to a good contemporary.

And the last book is Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. I'm not going to give you the blurb because it will probably spoil the first two books. My mum found the first book, Inkheart, and the second book, Inkspell, when she was tidying her room and gave them to me. I remember reading Inkheart when I was younger and watching the film and I really enjoyed it. I never got round to the second and third
book, so I have decided to read them all and read them soon (when I say soon I mean 'sometime next year probably maybe') I was a bit disappointed that we didn't have Inkdeath to complete the series so when I saw it for 20p in a charity, I grabbed it.

And that's the end of my book haul. XD You can look forward to another one in a week or so because it's my birthday in 9 days! YAY! I'm so excited. :) And I'll get quite a few books for my birthday, so book haul! I'm not having a party because they're too much hassle and I feel bad when I don't invite someone, but I'm still excited. 15 years old. That's a really weird... 15 means GCSEs and responsibility and more work, less reading/blogging/fun.

Time for my August Wrap Up!

Bookshelf:

Frostbite by Richelle Mead - 5 stars
How I Live Now - 2.5 stars
Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead - 5 stars
Blood Promise by Richelle Mead - 5 stars

Currently Reading:

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead - page 177

Playlist:

Rude // Magic!
I See Fire // Ed Sheeran
Nothing Stays the Same // Luke Sital-Singh
Greatest Lovers // Luke Sital-Singh
Everything is Making You // Luke Sital-Singh
We Don't Belong // Luke Sital-Singh

(Basically all of Luke Sital-Singh's album The Fire Inside. It is absolute perfection. I love it)

I'd just like to add, my 50 followers Writing Contest is closed. Thank you to everyone that decided to enter - I had 18 amazing entries. I will be revealing the winner on Thursday. I thought it would still be a good Creative Thursday, it just won't be written by me - you can read everyone else's brilliant writing. :) There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and I will leave links to all entrants blogs and entries. If someone has emailed me there entry, I will write it out in the post. Obviously I couldn't do that for all the entries, or it would be a really, really, really long post.

Back to school tomorrow. (sarcastic) Yay! No, if I'm being honest, I really am looking forward to school. It'll be really nice to see my friends again, and to settle back into the routine of lessons. I really want to find out which teachers I have for my different subjects, and looking at my timetable, comparing it with my friends'. Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. But I'm dreading the early morning...
I'm spending my last free day watching The Desolation of Smaug (I love Legolas. I just... I love him), eating custard creams, blogging and reading. I just finished watching Torchwood and I want there to be a Season 5 so bad but I know there won't be. Sad times.

It is officially Autumn! I'll miss Summer, but Autumn is my favourite season. I thought I would do a little poem thing like I did last year for my first Creative Thursday, when it changed from Autumn to Winter. You can read that here. So here you go. :)

{I made dis. >.< The pictures in the words are from Google.
No stealing. Please give me credit if you use it}

Goodbye, Summer.
Goodbye to long days and blue sky.
Hot sun and cool breezes.
Dresses and sandals.
Wavy hair and tanned skin.
Waves lapping against my legs
And sand in between my toes.
Reading outside and picnics
And carefree Summer days.

Hello, Autumn.
Hello to shorter days and grey sky.
Watery sunlight and harsh winds.
Jeans and warm coats.
Thick socks and comfy boots.
Hair whipping against my face
And leaves tossed around in the wind.
Hot drinks and big jumpers.
Rain pattering on my window
And reading inside, snuggled under a blanket.
Long walks and crisp air
And the crunch of leaves under my feet.

I hope you enjoyed that. :) That can be my Creative Thursday, and then actual Creative Thursday will be written by everyone that entered my challenge. :)

I have just joined a new blog! Anna, from Banana and Bear, has set up a joint book review blog called We Are The Readers. And I'm an author as well as a few other girls! There aren't any posts up yet, but there will be soon. So head over there by clicking here if you want to find some awesome books to read. :)

We Are The Readers

Guys, I just realised. This is my 100th post! I have thought of, written, edited and posted 100 posts on my blog. Wow! That's crazy!

One more thing; I am thinking of changing 'Creative Thursday' to 'Thursday's Writings' It makes a bit more sense, but please let me know which you prefer in the comments. I won't be able to make a decision on my own! So tell me in the comments below if you prefer Creative Thursday or Thursday's Writings (or some variation of that)

Thanks for reading guys. Love you

6 comments

  1. I have you ever read The Lunar Chronicles? Its really good! I recommend it. I really enjoyed your poem about Autumn, I'm so excited for it to come! :D

    Cathy // HELLO, CATHY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have and I LOVE them. I don't own them - I borrowed them from a friend - but I'm hoping to change that when I get birthday money, haha! I love your blog <3 It's really nice to have you in my little corner of the internet. :)
      Aww, thank you! Same, I love Autumn. :D

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  2. I have also joined we are the readers and I am excited to post on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, cool! It's going to be so much fun!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a good time with school starting!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! It was a really good day - I have amazing teachers and an amazing timetable. The school uniform is still bleugh though!

      xoxo,
      Bethan

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx