- new posts every sunday -

Friday 23 January 2015

Bethan & The Pursuit of Happiness

Hello everybody. I hope you've all had a great week. :)

So I was thinking today; what is happiness? Like, what actually is that emotion. What causes it, how does it work? So I googled it. And by doing several things, that produce different molecules and such, you could create happiness.

By doing things that produce endocannabinoids, dopamine, oxytocin, endorphin, GABA, serotonin and adrenaline (I literally only know what two of those things are haha) your brain would create happy feelings. You could, theoretically, spend the majority of the time happy.

Think about how you feel most of the time. Is one of your constant emotions happiness? Because I realised last year that the majority of the time, I wasn't happy. I was lonely, upset and insecure.

But would we lead a good life if we were always happy? I mean, I have made a lot of mistakes and have been in hurtful situations. But I have learnt from those mistakes and I have become a better, stronger person because of everything that I regret and everything that's hurt me.

I'd love for everybody in the world to be happy. But sometimes we need to be hurt. Sometimes we need to make mistakes. Sometimes we need to feel lonely, upset and insecure, just so that we can become better people and lead a good life.

Sorry for my philosophical ramblings, but I just thought I'd share.

I love you all lots and lots

Bethan
xxxxxx

6 comments

  1. Gosh, I feel such a long comment coming on... Here it goes.

    To what I've learned, certain things end up setting off our emotions, or "trigger points," as I was taught in school. That's the reason why some foods (like comfort food) ends up seeming delicious and end up being quite filling-- because our brain ends up setting off these signals to make us feel like this. The same goes for pain-- it's all in our head, but we still feel it to know what hurts and what does not.

    The Pursuit of Happiness... In U.S. History, we were taught something about that, but the context they use in historical textbooks and the context you are using is rather different, so I'll just go with your context. I think it's hard to be happy because people aren't satisfied with what they already have in front of them. Yesterday I had to type up an essay about how people here, in America, are constantly demanding rights from the U.S. Government and because they aren't given these rights in a fast timely fashion, people are dissatisfied. The best way for some people to be happy is to already cherish what they have and give up all of the stuff that they don't have-- that's why some religions try to reach enlightenment, where they give up all earthly things. I'm not sure how that process works exactly since I am not under that religion but rather it was just a summary of the religion unit from seventh grade.

    But if we did do those two things-- be thankful for what we have, and only receive simple things-- I think we can be happy. But because we don't usually do these two things, it leads to jealousy, depression, etc. It stinks here how we have Thanksgiving and say what we are thankful for, but the next day, people go out and buy a bunch of junk that they don't need to make them "happy." Urgh.

    Well, that's my two cents of it. I should probably stop rambling now. :)
    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was a long comment! But thank you. :)

      All of that was super interesting, and I think you're absolutely right. If we all accepted what we have and were grateful for all the wonderful things we had, we would be happy. We don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, but I try to make up for that by thinking of all the amazing things I have in my life - family and friends, and a safe home - every day.

      I do think having to deal with hard situations make us treasure everything happy that much more, and to help us learn from our mistakes.

      Thank you so much for your insight. It's so nice to be back and to talk to people again. :)

      Bethan
      xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. Great post! This really got me thinking about what I think happiness is about, and how my idea of happiness compares to everyone else's. I don't think that there is just one definition of what happiness is - I think that everyone has a completely different take on being happy, and that is what makes us all beautiful human beings. This comment might not make sense, I don't know! Anyway, once again, great post! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I know, I don't know what brought it on, I just suddenly thought about it. I think you're right, everyone has a different idea of what happiness is, because everyone has different things that make them happy.
      It does make sense, don't worry! Thank you so much for your ideas and stuff - it's great to hear everyone's ideas. :)

      Thank you so much! <3

      Bethan
      xxxxxx

      Delete
  3. Aw this is a cute post C: And your title reminded me of a book called the Happiness of Pursuit which is supposed to be uplifting and whatnot C:

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Haha, aw that sounds like a cute book! I'll have to check it out. :)

      Bethan
      xxxxx

      Delete

Hey! Thank you so much for reading my blog and deciding to comment.

Please be nice!

I will reply to all comments. :)

- B
xxxx